Pro Terps: Women's basketball, Aug. 22 - The Diamondback : Home

Pro Terps: Women's basketball, Aug. 22

Print
Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

Posted: Thursday, August 22, 2013 11:43 am

Every week, staff writer Phillip Suitts will take a look at the careers of a number of former Terrapins athletes embarking on professional careers in a variety of leagues. Every Thursday, it's former women's basketball players.

Kristi Toliver, Guard, Los Angeles Sparks

2013 stats: 29.8 mpg, 14.6 ppg, 2.5 rpg, 3.1 apg, .470 FG%, .866 FT%

Skinny: Toliver, a first-time all-star this season, earned another accolade this past week. In the two games she played from Aug. 12 to 18 Toliver averaged 21.5 points-- third-most in the league-- and was named the WNBA’s Western Conference Player of the Week, the second such honor of career. The former third overall draft pick went 11-of-15 from the field Friday, scoring 28 points in 31 minutes, including 16 of the Sparks’ first 26, in a 94-72 victory over the Indiana Fever. Toliver scored 15 points, grabbed four rebounds, and dished out four assists Aug. 13 in an 80-76 victory. Toliver was unable to replicate her Player of the Week performances Tuesday in a 77-57 loss to the Seattle Storm. She shot 2-of-8 from the field and scored six points. Toliver has scored in double figures in 19 of the Sparks’ 26 games this season. With the regular season ending on Sept. 15 Los Angeles sits second in the Western Conference.

Crystal Langhorne, Forward/Center, Washington Mystics

2013 stats: 29.0 mpg, 12.7 ppg, 6.9 rpb, 1.4 apg, .534 FG%, .671 FT%

Skinny: Langhorne followed up a 14-point performance in a pivotal game with two straight single-digit scoring nights this past week. Langhorne was the Mystics’ second-leading scorer Friday in a 66-57 victory over the New York Liberty, who Washington is battling against for the fourth, and final, playoff spot in the Eastern Conference. She also had six rebounds. In Washington’s next two games, both losses, the 26-year-old shot a combined 5-of-14 from the floor, scoring 13 points, but she did grab nine rebounds in each contest. Washington is currently one game ahead of New York in the battle for fourth.

Lynetta Kizer, Forward, Phoenix Mercury

2013 stats: 9.5 mpg, 2.1 ppg, 1.9 rpg, 0.3 apg, .474 FG%, .571 FT%

Skinny: Kizer played more than 10 minutes in both games this past week, running her streak of consecutive games with double-digit minutes to five. Before this stretch, Kizer had played more than 10 minutes four times in the first 21 contests. She grabbed a season-high six rebounds Tuesday in an 89-86 victory over the Tulsa Shock. The second-year-pro also had two points and two assists.

Tianna Hawkins, Forward, Seattle Storm

2013 stats: 9.7 mpg, 3.7 ppg, 1.8 rpg, 0.2 apg, .543 FG%, .889 FT%

Skinny: Hawkins played double-digit minutes once in three games this past week. Last Thursday, the rookie played 10 minutes in a 79-66 loss to the Chicago Sky. She scored two points, had one rebound and blocked one shot. Two days later, the sixth overall pick in this year’s draft went scoreless in nine minutes in a 77-70 win over the Indiana Fever. Hawkins missed her first free throw of the season Tuesday in the blowout victory over the Sparks. Hawkins, who was 5-of-5 on free throws entering the content, went 3-of-4 from the charity stripe, scoring three points and grabbing one rebound.

Marissa Coleman, Guard/Forward, Los Angeles Sparks

2013 stats: 17.8 mpg, 5.3 ppg, 2.9 rpg, 1.1 apg, .430 FG%, .643 FT%

Skinny: Coleman scored a combined six points on 2-of-7 shooting from the field in 36 minutes on the floor in the Sparks’ last two games. She grabbed three rebounds in the win over the Fever on Friday, blocked a shot, and scored three points. Then she hit a three-pointer in the blowout loss to Seattle on Tuesday.

More about

More about

More about

comments powered by Disqus