Every week, staff writer Phillip Suitts will take a look at the careers of a number of former Terrapins athletes embarking on professional careers in a variety of leagues. Every Wednesday, it's former soccer players.

Clarence Goodson, Defender, San Jose Earthquakes

2013 stats: 0 GP, 0 GS, 0 minutes, 0 goals, 0 assists, 0 shots, 0 yellow cards, 0 red cards

Skinny: Goodson couldn’t have hoped for a better homecoming at M&T Bank Stadium in Baltimore on Sunday. The former Terp marked his return by scoring his fifth goal for the U.S. and the first goal of the Gold Cup quarterfinals match against El Salvador when he redirected a cross from teammate Landon Donovan into the goal. Goodson also played the full 90 minutes of the U.S.’s 5-1 win in the biyearly regional competition. Goodson’s goal, however, might not be enough to keep him in the starting lineup for Wednesday’s Gold Cup semifinal match against Honduras. Another former Terp, Omar Gonzalez, may replace Goodson in the staring lineup. 

Zac MacMath, Goalkeeper, Philadelphia Union

2013 stats: 21 GP, 21 GS, 1890 minutes, 6 shutouts, 61 saves, 30 goals against

Skinny: MacMath etched his name into the history books Saturday. MacMath got his sixth shutout of the season and 17th of his career in a 0-0 tie with the Portland Timbers on Saturday. The 21-year-old now has the most shutouts before the age of 22 in MLS history. D.C. United goalkeeper Bill Hamid previously held the record with 16, and he turned 22 last year. MacMath made four saves, including a couple on close-range shots, and shut out the Timbers for only the fourth time in 20 games, earning press from the national and local media. The former Terp did get into trouble with the MLS Disciplinary Committee, receiving a fine for violating the league’s “hands to the face/head of an opponent” policy during a July 12 match against Chivas USA. He received a yellow card during the match for that incident.

Graham Zusi, Midfielder, Sporting Kansas City

2013 stats: 19 GP, 19 GS, 1682 minutes, 4 goals, 6 assists, 37 shots, 1 yellow card, 0 red cards

Skinny: After losing the ESPY for “Best MLS Player” to New York Red Bulls forward Thierry Henry Wednesday night, Zusi returned to Kansas City and assisted on Kansas City’s game-winning goal Saturday. His corner found the head of teammate Ike Opara, whose goal in the seventh minute of extra time gave Sporting a 2-1 away victory over Real Salt Lake. Kyle McCarthy wrote a column for FoxSports this week about how young Americans like Zusi, and his Sporting KC and U.S. teammate Matt Besler, have started to realize the value of staying in the MLS. 

Omar Gonzalez, Defender, Los Angeles Galaxy

2013 stats: 17 GP, 17 GS, 1530 minutes, 0 goals, 2 assists, 12 shots, 2 yellow cards, 0 red cards

Skinny: Gonzalez also assisted on one of his team’s goals Saturday. Down 1-0 to the Vancouver Whitecaps in the 29th minute, Gonzalez headed a free kick towards the goal line and forward Jose Villarreal poked the ball into the goal. The Galaxy would go on to win the game 2-1. Gonzalez, one of four players added to the roster by U.S. coach Jurgen Klinsmann prior to the quarterfinals match Sunday, finally joined the U.S. team Tuesday, a day ahead of the semifinals match against Honduras. The 24-year-old will likely be making his first ever Gold Cup appearance in his hometown of Dallas, where both semifinals are being held Wednesday night.

Taylor Kemp, Defender, D.C. United

2013 stats: 5 GP, 3 GS, 260 minutes, 0 goals, 0 assists, 1 shot, 0 yellow cards, 0 red cards

Skinny: Kemp started and played all 90 minutes in D.C. United’s 4-1 loss to the Chicago Fire on Saturday. After making only one start in United’s first 18 games this season and playing just 45 minutes in that game, Kemp has started and played the whole game in United’s last two matches. The four goals United allowed tied a season-high for goals scored against them in a single match.

Ethan White, Defender, D.C. United

2013 stats: 10 GP, 9 GS, 747 minutes, 0 goals, 0 assists, 3 shots, 2 yellow cards, 0 red cards

Skinny: White started Saturday’s game against the Fire. However, he played only the first 45 minutes and was replaced at halftime with another central defender. With the loss, United remains winless on the road.

Casey Townsend, Forward, D.C. United

2013 stats: 8 GP, 3 GS, 305 minutes, 0 goals, 0 assists, 4 shots, 1 yellow card, 0 red cards

Skinny: Townsend did not appear in United’s loss Saturday, breaking a streak of six consecutive appearances in MLS play. His last start in MLS action was on June 22 when he played 68 minutes in a 1-0 win over the San Jose Earthquakes. With only four forwards available and one who has never played in an MLS match, Townsend could get his fourth start of the year Saturday as United coach Ben Olsen looks to shake things up against the New England Revolution.

London Woodberry, Defender, D.C. United

2013 stats: 8 GP, 3 GS, 363 minutes, 0 goals, 0 assists, 1 shot, 1 yellow card, 0 red cards

Skinny: Woodberry did not play in Saturday’s 0-0 tie with the Montreal Impact. Woodberry has not appeared in four straight Dallas matches. He last played for Dallas on June 29. The Dallas Morning Newsmidseason report card gave Woodberry a “C,” writing that he deserves a chance to compete for the right back spot. Dallas is now on an eight-game losing streak in MLS action and is clinging on to a playoff spot as the fifth place team in the Western Conference.

Jasmyne Spencer, Forward, Washington Spirit

2013 stats: 11 GP, 3 GS, 400 minutes, 0 goals, 0 assists, 5 shots, 0 yellow cards, 0 red cards

Skinny: Spencer came on and played the last five minutes of the Spirit’s 1-0 loss to the Chicago Red Stars on Saturday. In her time on the field the former Terp recorded a cross but no shots. The Spirit has lost their last four matches and is on a 10-game winless streak. The squad sits in last place in the eight-team National Women’s Soccer League with a 1-11-4 record.