Terps point guard Allen out 8-10 weeks after fracturing foot - The Diamondback : Home

Men's basketball Terps point guard Allen out 8-10 weeks after fracturing foot

Report says Wells expected to start at point, Peters to fill backup role

Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

Posted: Wednesday, October 30, 2013 12:32 pm

Terrapins men’s basketball guard Seth Allen will be sidelined for eight to 10 weeks after fracturing his left foot in practice Tuesday night, coach Mark Turgeon announced Wednesday. Allen, a sophomore, was slated to be the Terps starting point guard for the Nov. 8 season opener against Connecticut in Brooklyn before the injury.

Allen suffered the injury when he landed awkwardly while driving to the basket late in the practice session. He is scheduled to have surgery Thursday in Baltimore.

"We are devastated for Seth," Turgeon said in a in release. "He was playing at a very high level throughout the summer and fall and was poised to have an excellent start to the season. We will support Seth during his rehabilitation process and will prepare him, so he can get back on the court with his teammates."

Allen made seven starts as a freshman last season and was fourth on the team with 7.8 points per game. He ranked fourth on the team with 84 assists and second with 36 steals.

Highly touted freshman point guard Roddy Peters could see an increased role while Allen is out. Forward Dez Wells, the Terps leading scorer last season, was team’s third point guard and spent significant handling the ball at the team’s open scrimmage Saturday morning.

Turgeon said earlier this month that Allen had been making strides in his transition to the starting point guard role. The third-year coach mentioned that Allen performed well in the Terps’ foreign tour to the Bahamas this summer and had impressed in early-season practice.

“Seth’s come a long ways,” Turgeon said at the Terps’ media day on Oct. 8. “He had a good trip to the Bahamas. He played well, had ten assists in one game. Now that’s not really the competition, preparation and coaching that you’re going to see when we get into our schedule. But Seth’s a dynamic scorer. Seth’s going to score.”

The Terps have an exhibition Sunday at Comcast Center against Catholic before opening their season in Brooklyn on Nov. 8. Allen is expected back no earlier than the middle of December, which would cause him to miss a majority of the Terps’ nonconference schedule and likely at least one conference game, a Dec. 12 tilt at Boston College.

UPDATE: ESPN's Jeff Goodman reported that Wells will start at point guard to begin the season and Peters will back him up. 

Turgeon mentioned Wells' role as a key decision maker on the team earlier this month. 

"The ball's in Dez Wells’ hands a lot to make decisions for us, and he’s got to do a better job," Turgeon said. "He had too many turnovers last year. He’s getting better in practice, but to me it’s just about being a basketball player and making the right decisions, not necessarily the position.”

More about

More about

More about

comments powered by Disqus

Maryland Athletics