Anderson named to council of athletic directors by NCAA's Emmert - The Diamondback : Terrapin Trail

Anderson named to council of athletic directors by NCAA's Emmert

Print
Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

Posted: Tuesday, June 18, 2013 7:59 pm | Updated: 7:30 pm, Thu Jun 27, 2013.

Kevin Anderson was named to a council of athletic directors by NCAA president Mark Emmert to help foster better communication between schools and collegiate athletics' governing body.

Emmert told the Wall Street Journal on Saturday that he agreed to "form a council of ... athletic directors who would meet regularly with him and his senior staff, starting in July." The goal of the council would be to shift decision making on athletic issues away from presidents, who may be disconnected from athletics, to athletic directors, who work on a daily basis with coaches and athletes.

According to the Wall Street Journal, the agreement came Saturday morning during Emmert's visit to Orlando, Fla., to speak to the National Association of Collegiate Directors of Athletics, which Anderson was president of for 2012-13.

The NCAA's structure changed in the 1990s to empower university presidents in the athletic arena, Rachel Bachman wrote, but some athletic directors and coaches felt presidents were too far removed from lucrative and complex athletic departments to closely manage them.

Anderson will join athletic directors from Kentucky, San Jose State, Arizona, Kansas State, Central Michigan, Connecticut, Clemson, Ohio State, Montana State and Denver on the committee.

Anderson was named athletic director of this university in 2010.

sportsdbk@gmail.com

More about

More about

More about

comments powered by Disqus