Every week, staff writer Kyle Stackpole will take a look at the careers of a number of former Terrapins athletes embarking on professional careers in a variety of leagues. Every Monday, it's former baseball players. The stats are from games through July 19.

Brett Cecil, LHP, Toronto Blue Jays

2014 stats: 0-3, 3.94 ERA, 3 saves, 31 hits, 38 strikeouts, 19 walks in 29.2 IP

Skinny: Cecil came out of the bullpen to pitch the eighth inning against the Texas Rangers on Saturday afternoon. After allowing a leadoff walk and a single, Cecil struck out Shin-Soo Choo before pitcher Dustin McGowan replaced him. The Blue Jays held a comfortable 4-0 lead, but McGowan allowed an RBI single, and the Rangers’ first run was charged to Cecil.

Justin Maxwell, OF, Omaha Storm Chasers (Kansas City Royals Triple-A affiliate)

2014 stats (with the Omaha Storm Chasers): .317 average, .371 on-base percentage, 6 HR, 22 RBIs, 19 runs, 2 stolen bases, 36 strikeouts, 10 walks.

Skinny: After back-to-back hitless games Sunday and Thursday, Maxwell hit the ball well in the Chasers’ past two games. Against the New Orleans Zephyrs on Friday, Maxwell had three hits in four at bats, but the Storm Chasers fell, 5-3. A day later, he went 1-for-4; with his lone hit a two-run homer during the Storm Chasers’ five-run first inning.

Adam Kolarek, LHP, Binghamton Mets (New York Mets Double-A affiliate)

2014 stats: 1-1, 4.17 ERA, 2 saves, 51 hits, 30 strikeouts, 15 walks in 40.1 IP

Skinny: After Kolarek closed out the Mets’ 11-4 win against the Erie Seawolves on Monday, he had his worst pitching performance of the season four days later against the Trenton Thunder. With the Mets leading 4-2, Kolarek stepped onto the mound to begin the seventh inning. He retired the first batter but allowed the Seawolves to load the bases after a single and two walks, prompting a pitching change. The next batter roped a bases-clearing double, and though Kolarek was not on the hill, the runs were charged to him. The double put the Seawolves in the lead for good, and Kolarek suffered his first lost of the season.

Alfredo Rodriguez, 2B, Brevard County Manatees (Milwaukee Brewers Class-A affiliate)

2014 stats: .234 average, .330 on-base percentage, 1 HR, 14 RBIs, 19 runs, 10 stolen bases, 18 strikeouts, 20 walks.

Skinny: Prior to the Manatees most recent game Sunday, Rodriguez scored a run in five consecutive games, and had a hit in four of them. On Thursday, Rodriguez was hitless, but he reached base another way. In Game 2 of a double header against the St. Lucie Mets, Rodriguez drew a walk and later scored on an RBI double. The Mets plated two runs in the inning, but fell short in a 3-2 defeat.

Jimmy Reed, LHP, Palm Beach Cardinals (St. Louis Cardinals high Class-A affiliate)

2014 stats: 3-0, 2.57 ERA, 4 GP, 4 GS, 31 hits, 19 strikeouts, 1 walk in 28.0 IP

Skinny: In his first four appearances with the Cardinals, Reed has allowed 31 hits in 28 innings but still maintains a respectable 2.57 ERA. When the Cardinals played Tampa Yankees on Wednesday, the lefty gave up 11 hits in 7.2 innings, his longest outing with the team, but the Yankees managed to plate just two runs. Reed’s quality start did not translate into a win, however, since he exited the game with the score knotted at two. Had Reed recorded the final out of the eighth, he would have earned his fourth win of the season, as the Cardinals plated the go-ahead run in the bottom of the inning in an eventual 3-2 victory.

Charlie White, OF, Boise Hawks (Chicago Cubs Short-Season Class-A affiliate)

2014 stats: .205 average, .340 on-base percentage, 0 HR, 5 RBIs, 7 runs, 2 stolen bases, 11 strikeouts, 7 walks.

Skinny: White played three games over the past week but had only one hit in 11 at bats. His lone base knock came in a clutch situation, however, as it drove in the go-ahead run in the eighth inning Tuesday against the Spokane Indians. Still, the Naperville, Ill. native continues to struggle at the plate.

Blake Schmit, IF, Elizabethtown Twins (Minnesota Twins Rookie Affiliate)

2014 stats: .154 batting average, .267 on-base percentage, 0 HR, 2 RBI, 4 runs, 0 stolen bases, 4 strikeouts, 3 walk.

Skinny: Schmit has played sporadically for Twins so far this season. His last start came on Wednesday, when he went hitless in three plate appearances.

Ben Brewster, LHP, Kannapolis Intimidators (Chicago White Sox Class-A affiliate)

2014 stats: 2-0, 2.61 ERA, 1 save, 8 hits, 11 strikeouts, 4 walks in 10.1 IP.

Skinny: In Thursday’s 1-0 win against the Augusta Green Jackets, Brewster pitched a nearly flawless three innings of relief. The Intimidators brought on Brewster to replace starter Thad Lowry, who allowed one hit in five shutout innings. The left-hander picked up where Lowry left off, facing the minimum nine batters while not allowing a hit. Still, the game remained scoreless, and Brewster was in line for a no decision. The Intimidators came through with a run in the ninth, however, and Brewster picked up his first career win.