Edsall voices support for athletes in O'Bannon lawsuit - The Diamondback : Football

Edsall voices support for athletes in O'Bannon lawsuit

Print
Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

Posted: Thursday, July 25, 2013 12:05 am | Updated: 2:20 am, Thu Aug 1, 2013.

After voicing his opinion on changes in recruiting regulations earlier this year, Terrapins football coach Randy Edsall once again took a stance on a key issue in the NCAA on Monday at the ACC Football Kickoff in Greensboro, N.C.

Edsall told reporters he supports former UCLA basketball player Ed O’Bannon’s lawsuit against the NCAA, EA Sports and Collegiate Licensing Company. The suit is about whether college athletes’ likenesses may be used for profit without the athletes benefiting financially.

“Kids are committed to institutions, not to the NCAA,” Edsall said, according to USA Today’s Dan Wolken. “And the NCAA is using their likeness to make money, and that money isn’t going back to these kids.”

Depending on the ruling, the O’Bannon suit could drastically change the financial landscape of college athletics.

“Asked if he would join the lawsuit if he was a current student athlete,” Wolken wrote, “Edsall said ‘most definitely’ but stopped short of saying that he was rooting for the NCAA to lose the case.”

Six current college athletes joined the lawsuit earlier this month, an unprecedented move. If O’Bannon wins, current and former college athletes could receive compensation for the use of their likenesses in video games such as EA Sports’ NCAA Football series.

“I’m just concerned about where the game is headed because I think this is the greatest team sport of them all, and the things I see that are happening are concerning as a coach,” Edsall told reporters. “I don’t want to see this game go away, and I don’t know if that will happen.”

sportsdbk@gmail.com

More about

More about

comments powered by Disqus